Nucleus is a new independent advocacy campaign that wants Britain to lead in Europe.
- Britain must offer global leadership to keep people and markets free and countries at peace; Britain must renew its purpose in the 21st century, strengthening its key alliances in the capitals and congresses that contribute to our prosperity and security; and Britain can take significant steps to achieving this by taking a lead in and through Europe, reviving British influence in the EU’s power centres – Paris, Berlin and Brussels – to better influence the world beyond.
- By seeking to maximise its influence in Europe, Britain can better defend Europe’s single market from protectionism and protect British influence;
- By promoting areas where Britain’s interests coincide with those of France and Germany, Britain can work effectively to achieve these aims within Europe; and
- That the future must be a globally-focused Britain which leads in the places where global policy is made. Without this, Britain will be sidelined by the USA, in the EU and within international institutions. Moreover our US allies and others want Britain to play a full part creating an outward-looking European Union shaping the developing global world order.
What should we do?
We need more than another think tank. Nucleus is a practical campaign for strengthening leadership and influence in Europe. This will be done by:
- Demonstrating that being in Europe and leading in Europe is the only way for Britain to maintain its influence on the global stage.
- Promoting distinctive British free-trade and free enterprise solutions within Europe.
- Assembling a euro-realist coalition to further enlighten the media, the public, and policy-makers in Brussels.
- Respond: We want to add balance and vision to the polarised European debate. We will factually respond to erroneous news stories from all perspectives and be the go to source for journalists and policy makers who want to hear a more balanced side of the debate.
- Promote: We will develop exciting policy ideas based on British ideals and communicate them through compelling advocates. We will aggregate and syndicate global research to place new messages in new places with new voices.
- Network: We will be the campaign home for euro-realism. We will use social media to push a multimedia web-based campaign aimed at building a strong grassroots base. We will create ‘salons’ in London-Brussels to debate and promote networking between Brits working in Europe and Europeans working in the UK.